Sunday, September 15, 2013

Fashion Week Fun

Another Fashion Week has come and gone in a blur of models, champagne and parties! I did some coverage for SheKnows and although this is my sixth or seventh time covering NYFW, I still learned a few new things, like that celebrities usually get paid big bucks to attend designer's shows. Here I thought they just wanted free clothes and exposure, silly me!

My favorite show was this season was Mara Hoffman. I'm all about color and her Spring 2014 collection was so bright and pretty. It made me want to book a tropical vacation ASAP and pack her entire line for the trip.

Another fun show was Herve Leger. You may know this brand from their ubiquitous bandage dresses that all the stars love to wear. Nicki Minaj sat front row wearing a dress from their Spring 2014 collection, which featured lots of zippers, cut outs and waist-cinching peplums.

I also got to attend Marchesa's runway presentation for the very first time thanks to my girl Laura Lane. This show is special because it's held off site at the New York Public Library and there's only two rows of seats with the runway going around the entire room, so you really get to see the couture close up. Their latest collection showcased ornate, gauzy gowns embellished with lots feathers and beads. I could totally see Taylor Swift wearing one of them.

Fashion Week is all about the parties and DKNY threw a fabulous bash to celebrate their 25th birthday. Supermodel Karlie Kloss, who also walked in their show was on hand, along with Chrissy Teigen, John Legend, Emmy Rossum, Hailee Steinfeld and a huge taxi cab cake. They had an awesome photobooth that makes GIFs of your pictures...check ours out here!

Rita Ora performed at the party, and I jumped on stage with her at the end when she invited people to come up. It reminded me of the last time I was on stage at a show with her boyfriend Calvin Harris at Firefly fest when he performed this summer.

I also want to congratulate two of my entrepreneurial friends, Kiara Horwitz and Christina Mannino, who threw their own Fashion Week soiree to celebrate Kiara's public relations firm's launch and Christina's latest collection for Deivie, her fashion line. Great job, girls!

And speaking of fall fashion, I never used to wear flats when I lived in LA but they're pretty necessary here in NYC, since you walk everywhere. I just got these Carmen Steffens, a Brazilian-based shoe company and I love how they're studded with skulls.
Until next time, wishing everyone a fun and fashionable fall!
Get all the action in real time on Twitter @cristinagibson and Instagram @cristinablairgibson

No comments:

Post a Comment